Sunday, March 4, 2012

Who are the people in YOUR neighborhood?

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it on this blog yet, but one of my favorite things about living in Santos is that I walk almost everywhere in our day-to-day activities. The boys' school is very close, and the grocery store is across the street from the school. Shopping centers are nearby, as are many great restaurants and the beach.

Because we walk so much, we actually do have people that we know in our neighborhood, and it's so nice to say hi to them when we walk by. Because of this, I frequently have this song in my head from Sesame Street. Bob appears to be flirting a bit with the lifeguard in this clip.



There's the man that sells papers at the banca (newsstand), the people that make the pasteis at the corner near our house, the ladies at the Caramba! ice cream stand, and many more that give us a friendly wave and smile with a Tudo Bem? when we walk by. When I had a car and drove everywhere in The US and Canada, there were certainly familiar and friendly faces out and about, but they were never really a part of our neighborhood.

Now I can walk along and sing this and really feel like I'm living one of my favorite childhood songs. But I try not to sing too loudly. ;o)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you get to walk everywhere, I miss that about where we live. I would say the people in our neighborhood are the post man, the garbage man, and the constant stream of construction workers

    ReplyDelete